Go Back   Eurocardsharing > General Discussions > General Satellite News > Latest Satellite News

Latest Satellite News Discussion, New Digital+ sale near? at General Satellite News forum; Digital+ sale near? Despite all the false starts, Sogecable's pay-TV operator Digital+ could soon be sold. The sale of the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New Digital+ sale near?
Bacteria's Avatar
Posts: 96,015

Level: 124 [♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥]
Life: 4638 / 4638
Magic: 32005 / 104875
Experience: 68%

Thanks: 1,107
Thanked 5,578 Times in 1,419 Posts
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 37
New Digital+ sale near? - 13-February-2009, 11:40

Digital+ sale near?

Despite all the false starts, Sogecable's pay-TV operator Digital+ could soon be sold. The sale of the operator to Spain's main telco Telefnica and French media group Vivendi could be carried out if 200 million of difference between what the seller wants and what the buyers are willing to pay, is resolved.

Telefnica and Vivendi are offering 2,350 million while Sogecable is asking for 2,500 million according to some sources close to negotiations. The problem for Prisa's Sogecable is that it has a debt of 2,000 million and a sale price below 2,600 million for Digital+ could damage the company.

Juan Luis Cebrin, recently named first executive of the company, has turned down both the Vivendi offer (65% of the joint-venture) and that of Telefnica's (the remaining 35% of the joint-venture with Vivendi).

Other sources close to the negotiations say talks are at a stand by point. However, a solution is likely in the next few weeks before March 31 when Prisa has to account for a 1,900 loan given by the banks HSBC, La Caixa, Banesto, Caja Madrid, BNP and Natixis.

Prisa is also negotiating in paralell the refinancing of its whole debt. Now Prisa must find an investor who puts money in the company and at the same time who allows it to recapitalize. This is going to be difficult because the editorial company has knocked at a lot of doors and so far no-one has paid too much attention.

Meanwhile, Javier Dez de Polanco will be Prisa's new Audiovisual director. This division will be divided into five different areas: Pay TV, including Digital+'s activities; Free-To-Air TV with the national channel Cuatro and the digital channels CNN+ and 40Latino and the Audiovisual Production for Spain, Portugal and the US under the brand Plural NBP.

Operations General Management will include management, financing, management control, buyouts, information technologies, human resources and general services of the company.

Regarding the Portuguese free-to-air business of Prisa this will continue to be operational through the free-to-air channel TVI. Moreover the company contemplates the launching of a 24 hour news channel in this country.

In the frame of this strategic operation Daniel Gavela will continue to be Cuatro's general director and Juan Casal Sogecable Media's general director for the commercialization of the different advertising supports of Spain's biggest media group.
Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

ECS on RSS ECS on Twitter ECS on Facebook ECS on Youtube
Follow us on:

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2002 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.