Go Back   Eurocardsharing > General Discussions > General Satellite News > Latest Satellite News

Latest Satellite News Discussion, SABC in talks with government at General Satellite News forum; SABC in talks with government May 25th, 2009 - 13:30 UTC by Andy Sennitt The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
SABC in talks with government
Bacteria's Avatar
Posts: 96,016

Level: 124 [♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥♥ Bé-Yêu ♥]
Life: 4638 / 4638
Magic: 32005 / 90615
Experience: 68%

Thanks: 1,107
Thanked 5,577 Times in 1,419 Posts
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 35
Thumbs up SABC in talks with government - 26-May-2009, 02:50

SABC in talks with government
May 25th, 2009 - 13:30 UTC by Andy Sennitt

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is currently in discussions with government over its financial woes, but has not requested a specific amount of money for a bailout. At the moment we are engaging our stakeholders including the Department of Communications and Treasury regarding the matter. We are not talking figures. It would be very irresponsible to talk figures, said SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago.

He said the discussions, which had commenced a long time ago, were not only about money, but included other matters such as TV licences. This comes after certain media reported that the public broadcaster had requested a R2 billion bailout from government.

The SABC has been experiencing liquidity problems as a result of its funding model, the global credit crunch and the rapidly rising costs of content. As part of a turnaround strategy, the corporation is looking at various measures to ensure its sustainability and viability, including the implementation of the Austerity Plan, the freezing of vacant posts, optimisation of TV license revenue and continuous engagement with government to find solutions on the funding of the organisations. The strategy is further expected to address the working capital dynamics and unnecessary spending.

Regarding the possible strike by SABC staff due to them not receiving their annual wage increases and the lack of implementation in salary increments from last year, Mr Kganyago said: There is no strike. The broadcaster will make an offer to unions on Monday afternoon.

Mr Kganyago further said that the SABC wished to assure the public that preparations and plans for the Confederations Cup and the 2010 World Cup were in place and broadcasting these tournaments would go ahead as planned. The broadcaster said at the weekend it regarded the statement of a possible blackout as unfortunate and irresponsible with the intent to cause unnecessary panic.

Statements such as these are not in the interest of the country and the SABC, it said.

Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

ECS on RSS ECS on Twitter ECS on Facebook ECS on Youtube
Follow us on:

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2002 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.